Today was the first sunny day in what seems like an eternity of bad weather. Here in Denmark, it is constantly raining.It feels like we are stuck inside a rain bubble! I both love and hate it. I don’t much fancy the cold wet part, but I do enjoy the effect it has on the foliage. The rain intensifies the green and turns it psychotically bright. Its almost neon in the dark ( Just kidding). After a week, I am settling in and feeling more at home. There is much to explore still, but I am finding new secrets each day to keep the mystery thriving. Here are 10 cool observations thus far:
1. They have maple flavor cheese here.
2. The school is on the ocean.
3. The people are tough ( most of them) and viking-ish. They love the outdoors and their idea of a work out is what we would compare to training for the iron man ( in the states)
4. It is a great mission field. 90% of the school is non-adventist.
5. The stars here sparkle extra bright because the air is so clean.
6. This place is c l e a n and green. Philadelphia is a dump compared to here.
7. I know that God has sent me here. I have been able to talk to and pray with non-believers.
8.The language sounds like they are speaking german mixed with baby babble. Its really mumbly but surprisingly rad sounding.
9. It is so expensive here. I spent $200 dollars already on toiletries, a laundry basket, a towel, cheap crap sneakers, and a dinky jacket. At this rate, I will be broke in a month.
10. This is going to be a great year, a wild adventure, and a sword sharpening experience.
God has a really neat story written for my future and especially for this year. I am so excited to learn, grow, encourage, impact, be humbled, be challenged, discover, and connect. I am a lover of culture and adventure so I believe God placed me here knowing I could handle it. Although I am scared and shaking because there are many non-believers. I am learning that when push comes to shove, we have to stick it out and let God be our strength. I will continue to build my house on the rock because I will not survive this year if I build it on the sand (especially because we are right on the ocean, wink wink).
Jer 29:11 (NIV) “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”